June 27, 2016 | Sonja McLean, LCSW
Happy New (fiscal) Year! 🙂
I wanted to share some of our great progress with you all:
- Support groups: A huge thank you to everyone who is participating in the support groups that are being held in Bismarck, Fargo, and Minot. Our groups are strong-we have had great conversation and learning opportunities available to adoptive families and I hope these will continue to grow! (Pssst….Dickinson! Your support groups are on deck to start this fall! Stay tuned!)
- Webinars: We had our first webinar in June and it was a total success! Webinars are held quarterly throughout the year. Topics upcoming in 2016 are Social Media Safety and Self-Care.
- Mentoring: We have a list of adoptive families that are interested in supporting other adoptive families. We will soon hold a 4-6 hour training for our mentoring families, but they are available to us now when there is a need!
- Adoption Camp: There is a committee exploring options for a 2017 summer overnight camp for adoptive families. This is a very exciting concept and we are looking forward to seeing it come to fruition! Again, stay tuned!
- Welcome Information: Families that adopted (through AASK) from 2012-present have all received information about our network. Other LCPAs (Licensed Child Placing Agencies) in the state have our information and are giving it to their adoptive families, as well. Information will be sent out to subsidized guardianship families from ND DHS with their annual review packets.
- Training/Education: I will be presenting on adoption/post adopt at the Fall Festival of Training in Region V in the fall. Hope to see you there! Look for trauma trainings geared toward adoptive families in early spring!
- Case Management: I have worked with over 30 families in the last 6 months, helping to navigate the child welfare system, finding adoption knowledgeable supports, and advocating for their child’s needs. I am here to be a listening ear, share what I know, and plug you into our network!
These are the highlights of the last 6 months. Lots of progress, a long way to go!
My vision is that this service reaches every North Dakota family who has adopted and that it provides you useful information and support as you raise your children. As always, I am open to suggestions and feedback to make this vision a reality! Please feel free to contact me by emailing through the website or to email@example.com. You may also call me toll free at 844.454.1139. From the bottom of my heart, thank you for committing to the children in your home, both temporary and permanent, however they got there.